Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Knitting as a spiritual practice?

This question came up on a board I frequent. Knitting is very spiritual to me.

My 4yo had to have 2 oral surgeries in the past few months and I was a wreck. I took my knitting with me and knit socks for him while I sat in the waiting room. Each stitch was an expression of my love for him and filled with a prayer. I felt much more calm and like I really was doing something to help him. Not just by actually knitting him a couple of pairs of socks, but by focusing on him and praying for his strength and health and for wisdom for the doctors.

I realized that when I am in a knitting funk it is because I have gotten caught up in knitting to get something finished and I have stopped focusing on the spiritual aspect of it.

One poster mentioned knitting a prayer shawl and that really speaks to me. I really want to knit one now.

So, today I am going to sit down with my knitting and reclaim it as the spiritual process that it is for me.

No comments: