Monday, October 12, 2009

Outdoor Hour Challenge #3



Two weeks ago we took the children up to Strawberry Reservoir to the visitors center. The kokanee salmon were spawning and we wanted the children to get a chance to see them. Kokanee salmon are fresh water salmon and silver when they are young. When the salmon are mature and ready to spawn they turn red and green. We went up on a Thursday and it was cold! The wind was blowing and there was a slight skiff of snow. Luckily for us that meant that nobody else was up there. We really do not like crowds. We knew we it was pretty late in the season but apparently it was the last day. The Fish and Game wardens were up there and one of them came over and started telling us all about what they were doing and how the fish were faring. It was so much fun! We asked all kinds of questions and had a blast. Thank you to the lovely Fish and Game department.

It was absolutely beautiful up there! I took a bunch of terrific pictures:






















Jack's picture of the salmon:


Christy's picture of the salmon:


Toby's picture of the salmon:


Hannah's picture of the river and salmon:

2 comments:

Barb said...

We have Kokanee salmon here too! They are a great subject for nature study because of their life cycle.

I just love their spawning colors. :)

Your journals are very well done and even the littlest one's entry will be a fond memory in the years to come.

I wanted to let you know that I use a point and shoot Nikon Coolpix S550 for most of the photos on my blog. I think there is a link on the right sidebar for my camera if you want to know more about it in particular. I purchased it from Costco Online with a coupon last year and I absolutely love it except it does not take great macro. I occasionally use my old point and shoot Olympus for the macro I take on my blog. Link on the sidebar as well.

Thanks for the link,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

knittinglongies said...

Thanks Barb. We have gone up to see the salmon the last couple of years. It has become a family tradition. It will be neat to see the children's pictures of the salmon next year. I appreciate you taking the time to talk cameras with me.