Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Finding a balance

Dinner was good last night. I ate one bite of the roast and didn't gag.

I am trying to find a balance here. I have found a lot of valuable information relating to traditional foods. I just do not believe it is all good for my family. As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints we have been given a revelation about our health. It is called The Word of Wisdom and is found in the Doctrine and Covenants- Section 89. I have found that most members of my church focus on the "don'ts". No alcohol, drugs, coffee, etc... But, and this is a BIG but, there is so much more revelation given in this section!

Grain is ordained to be the staff of life. Herbs and "as also fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground-" are for us.

Verse 10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—
Verse 11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.

Verse 12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;
Verse 13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

Verse 14 All agrain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;

I love the Word of Wisdom! Here are the last few verses. I find them so beautiful and hopeful!:

Verse 18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;
Verse 19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of dknowledge, even hidden treasures;
Verse 20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.
Verse 21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.

You can find the whole section here: http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/89
You will have to copy and paste, I cannot seem to post a link on this blog.

I am going to be revamping our diet to better meet the needs of our family and the revelation given to us.
1-Wholesome Grains are going to play a bigger role in our diets. I am going to keep working on my sourdough and hope to have something spectacular soon.
2-I am going to find a raw milk source and I hope to get cream too so I can make butter.
3-We are going to eat more fruits and vegetables.
4-Meat will be eaten sparingly but I will also prepare it in a healthy way. I am also going to find a source for healthy meat.

I know more inspiration will be given to me as we go. "Line upon line, precept upon precept......."

I am really looking forward to spring. I want to join a CSA and be a regular at the farmer's markets come summer time.

I am excited about our little garden. We have but a tiny patch of ground so I am going to be researching square foot gardening. I have much hope for the spring!

2 comments:

Monica said...

It is so refreshing that you recognize the entire concept of the Word of Wisdom. You're right. So many people only focus on the don'ts... As if by refraining from alcohol and coffee they are in the clear to eat an entire box of twinkies in the afternoon. It is one of those things that really irks me. LOL You're a good egg. :)

knittinglongies said...

Thanks Monica! Twinkies do not tempt me but chocolate chip cookies sure do! LOL!